Monday, March 18, 2013

Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth, Patricia Clapp (1975)




I remember reading this when I was about 12, and it really marked my life. Twenty years later I still recall certain parts, although I had read it only once. In fact, I've just decided to order a copy for myself since I'll definitely want my students to read it, as well as my daughter whenever she's old enough and ready.

Constance is the story of a young English girl whose family sailed to Plymouth colony in 1620 and all the hardships they had to endure the first couple of years in the New World.  The sufferings, deaths, starvation, loneliness and even everyday events are described very accurately and vividly (including the Squanto and Indians episode), however it is still entertaining enough for adolescents to read and get involved in a very important American historical event. 



Constance truly hates living in the colony and it takes her a long time to accustom herself to new people, new surroundings, and of course a completely new life. At times she just seems to be a bit annoying, particularly with her step-mother, but isn't that a realistic portrayal of how any teenager would act in times of extreme adversity? 



I think it is, which is one of the strengths of the story - it doesn't make the protagonist "too good to be true"; she's human and fallible just like the rest of us.  She matures as the novel advances and faces problems that any regular teenager would be facing today, which, again, is what makes the novel appealing to adolescents and YA.  


One scene which stayed with me all these years is when Constance's fiance (I won't say who!) imported her a looking glass from England, and it had been years since she had seen herself clearly.  Nonetheless, instead of being grateful for the thoughtful (and expensive) present, she chastises him because he hadn't let her know about a smudge she had on her face! Classic Constance behavior!



P.S. I chose this cover, which is from Amazon, since it was the one I had originally read so many years ago! Memories!



Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth
Reviewed by Romina on Mar 18 2013
Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment